Thursday, January 7, 2010

Best New Habit

Eric got me started. It's something I used to do by myself all the time. Somehow, over time, I just fell out of the habit.

Every week we set one night to meet up downtown… at the Tompkins County Public Library.

That's right. I'm a weekly library patron!

As far as smaller-city libraries go, this place is like Disneyland. They have a large selection of periodicals, a large selection of DVDs, and lots of great books.

I am currently at my personal all-time high for items checked out at once – 14! I can't believe it.

I thought it would be amusing to list out everything I'm working on at the moment. Amusing for me… and maybe just the slightest bit for you.

___________________________

DVDs:

Punch Drunk Love
The Royal Tenenbaums

Fiction:

Franny and Zooey, J.D. Salinger
Ghosts, César Aira
Ground Up, Michael Idov
The White Garden, Stephanie Barron

Non-Fiction:

When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull up a Chair, Geneen Roth
The Sugar Fix, Richard Johnson, MD

Poetry:

Commons, Myung Mi Kim
Collected Poems 1956-1987, John Ashbery

Periodicals:

2 Issues of Poets and Writers magazine
1 Issue of Poetry

Audiobook:

Teach Yourself Finnish, Terttu Leney

___________________________

Anyway… I'm thrilled with my new habit! It's the best thing to happen to me in a long time. I can just feel my horizons expanding. Read! It's good for you.